Tuesday, August 29, 2017

The Unlikely Disciple

The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest UniversityThe Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University by Kevin Roose
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I wasn't sure what to expect from this book. The title makes you wonder how it is going to end. The weird part for me is that I was also at a religious university in Virginia during the time Kevin Roose was at Liberty. I remember events that happened that year that are mentioned in the book. Looking at it from someone else's point of view brings me back to that time. That's the sign of a well written book, when you can transport someone to a moment in time from your point of view, even if they actually experienced it for themselves.

There were a lot of humorous moments that made the book feel like a human experience, and not just the facts about life at Liberty.

The one thing I really had an issue with is the beginning of the book. It seems like the story was just thrown in there to grab your attention, but Kevin never comes back to it and says what happened. It's only part of a story, and I kept hoping to find out the rest through the whole book, but it never happened.

All in all, I don't think this is a book that I would buy, but, it is one that I would be willing to read again if I picked it up at the library.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment