Sunday, February 10, 2019

Sailor Moon

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 12 (Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Renewal Edition, #12)Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 12 by Naoko Takeuchi
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This review is for the entire Sailor Moon series.

It doesn't matter how old I get, or how many times I read these books, Sailor Moon is still my happy place. Maybe it comes from being a kid in the 90s, I don't know. Reading the series as an adult does leave me with a few questions, none of which would make me stop reading, but still, I wonder.

Why do half the characters seem to have no parents? It's not even that they are adults and their parents are somewhere else. They are teenagers still going to school and living alone. Also, for those kids living alone, how are they able to buy food and pay rent? I was not mature enough at 14 to be living on my own, forget the fact that in the U.S.A, it is illegal and I would have been taken away. Are things just different in Japan? Maybe kids are just more mature.

How much were Usagi's parents really paying attention to what was going on? That girl would sometimes just not come home, were they not worried? Did they just not question anything?

Oh well, I'm sure some of my questions only arise because of the cultural difference. I still love the series and will continue to read it even with the questions floating around in my head.

And really, for all of Usagi's faults, who wouldn't want to have what she has. Maybe not necessarily the power, but the strength, friendships, relationships, and a talking cat. All of the main characters are great examples for taking control of your life and being the best you can be.

Author: Naoko Takeuchi
Publisher: Kodansha Comics
Publication Date: 2004

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment