Monday, October 2, 2017

The Anybodies

The Anybodies (Anybodies, #1)The Anybodies by N.E. Bode
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The fact that this is the first book in a series saves it. The book was fine, but the ending would have been a disappointment if it was a stand alone. The story reminds me of the Inkheart series, with power being shown through books. The Anybodies takes a different spin on it, which made the story move in a direction I did not really see coming.

I appreciate the fact that this book references so many others. It would be great if children went and read the other books because they were mentioned in this one. It made me think back on the books I've read. If you could take parts of your favorite books and make a world with them, what would you pick? I wouldn't have picked the same ones as the author, but they fit the story.

The author is like Lemony Snicket, a persona used to help the author talk directly to the reader as a character. Having the author talk to the reader is tricky. It could work, or it could be a disaster and break up the books flow. I think the author managed to do this successfully.

Depending on how the other books in the series go, I may read this book again.

Publisher: HarperCollins
Publication Date: 25 May 2004

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment