Thursday, October 12, 2017

The Uncommon Reader

The Uncommon ReaderThe Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The Uncommon Reader is a novella that asks the question, what happens when the queen starts reading? I am normally not a fan of short stories or novellas, but I feel like this time, it worked. It didn't need the length that a full novel provides to tell the story. The pace moved along without adding a bunch of unnecessary events that serve no purpose except to make the story longer.

Growing up in a country that doesn't have royalty, I feel like I may not have fully appreciated some of what was going on in the story. It was still a worthwhile read, and I appreciate that it shows how reading can change a person, not just in how they spend their time, but in the way they look at the world. It's true, that the more you read, the more your mind is open to other people and places. Personally, I think having an open mind is a good thing for any leader to have.

Author: Alan Bennett
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux
Publication Date: 18 Sept 2007

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment