Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Eric a Discworld Novel

Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)Eric by Terry Pratchett
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I am reading the Discworld series all out of order, but I still love them. Maybe, at some point in the future, I will read them all in order and love every minute of it. As it is, I've been getting them from the library when I can. I think it says a lot for a series that even when you don't read it in order, there is still a story great enough to keep you going. You don't have to have an in-depth knowledge of the series to enjoy each book.

Eric is a boy who attempt to capture a demon and gets much more than he ever bargained. His adventures take him throughout a history that looks similar to the one taught to children in schools around the world. It was interesting to see events like the Trojan war and the odyssey through the eyes of a fantasy writer.

There is a nod to many classical authors throughout the novel, turning their serious works on their heads and seeing what happens. I would recommend not only reading Eric, but also reading the other books hinted at. I'm not sure you can completely understand the brilliance of Eric without having at least some knowledge of the other writings.

Author: Terry Pratchett
Publisher: Harper
Publication Date: 1990

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment