Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Jade City

Jade City (The Green Bone Saga, #1)Jade City by Fonda Lee
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

My true rating is 2.5 stars.

I had a really hard time getting into this book. It just seemed to drag for me. Aside from the slow pace, I also really struggled with who was who. I will totally admit, I struggle with keeping characters straight to begin with, but this book gives each character multiple names, which made everything even more difficult.

I think I'm just not the right reader for this type of novel. I mean, besides my moments of confusion, Fonda Lee can write some beautiful sentences. "You give a man something to live up to, you tell him he can be more than he is now, more than other people think he’ll ever be, and he’ll try his godsdamned best to make it true." I mean, I love that sentence.

Part of me wants to continue with the series, because I now know who everyone is, and I think I know how the clans work, so maybe I will enjoy it more. You know what? After thinking about it for a whole two minutes or less, I think I will read the next one. I read this one really slowly, and that may have also been part of my problem.

Long story short, this is not my favorite book, but I'm going to read the next one in the series before deciding how I really feel about this world.

Content warning: Sexual content, Murder

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment