Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Now Before the Dark

Now Before the Dark (Terribly Serious Darkness)Now Before the Dark by Sam Hooker
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was my first time annotating a book, so it took a while for me to finish. I really noticed the great lines and just how many times I physically started laughing out loud.

Now Before the Dark is the final book in the Terribly Serious Darkness series. It follows the main character Sloot Peril as he tries to fix the narrative after the events of the second book. Even as a demon, Sloot is still sweet little Sloot, and he struggles to complete his task. Luckily, he has his friends and a new acquaintance, his bard Igor. I just love how persistent Igor was. He had a plan for his new career, and he was not going to let anything stand in his way, even Sloot.

I love all the different relationships between the characters, even those people have with Willie, who is kind of an annoying character. He really redeems himself and shows growth in this last book. In fact, there is a ton of character growth in this book for main and minor characters. Sloot and Myrtle are just adorable. I found one of my favorite descriptions of a kiss during one of their interactions. "Myrtle leaned in and gave Sloot the sort of kiss that make poets go sonnet." I mean, if you don't know poetry, then maybe it's just a line, but I really like it. Add to that the fact that Myrtle had been imprisoned at level 99 of the demon realm while Sloot is a level 100 demon, and it was a long time coming.

I will say the relationship between Vlad and Greta almost broke me. I still haven't decided how I feel about their ending. I was on Greta's side, wanting to shake everyone.

There are so many different characters, and they are all so fun. Since the first book, I've really liked the lawyers, it seems silly to say, but I do. Especially when they are in cahoots with the likes of Winking Bob. All the little side notes they randomly insert into conversations make me smile.

I will say, having annotated this book, I did notice that Sloot's thoughts got more philosophical (gasp), closer to the end, and especially at the end. Of course, I'm not sure Arthur would agree.

Some favorite lines.
* I am possessed aren't I? What does that mean for my tax liability? Can I claim a dependent?

* You don't need luck when your fate is your own.

* We are what the world makes us, thought Sloot. And we in turn make the world.

* "Every family is good," said Sloot, "until the world makes them otherwise."

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment