Tuesday, September 11, 2018

The Neverending Story

The Neverending StoryThe Neverending Story by Michael Ende
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I grew up loving the movies based on this book, and finally read it. Of course, like all books, it is different than the movie, so if you are hoping to read something that follows the movie, this is not that.

Bastian is really annoying in this book. Has he always been that way? I think some of the events that happen in the book that don't happen in the movie really make his immaturity shine through. These events show what happens when we get so obsessed with making ourselves look good for the world, that we forget to help others and keep the promise we may have made before we became something greater than we originally imagined.

Really, even though I love the movies, still do even after reading the book, I'm glad that they don't follow the story completely. I like being able to read something in the book and imagine in my head what it is like instead of having the movie's version of it already there. Being able to create your own images of what happens is what makes reading enjoyable.

Author: Michael Ende
Publisher: Doubleday & Company
Publication Date: 1979

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment